Saturday, July 7, 2012

Seth Bear

            7 lbs. 2 oz.              7 lbs. 13oz.
                                                         
 7 lbs. 13 oz.            7 lbs. 3 oz.                    7 lbs. 1 oz.

7 lbs. 6 oz.

I remember these numbers. These are the birth weights of my children.  These numbers are etched in my mind.  The hold the link to the memory of the first time I ever held my babies in my arms.  These then move on to the other memories that follow. The weight at their two week check up. The weight at their 6 month check up.  The weight at their first birthday.  As they grew I felt their weight sitting on my hip. 

My little guy Seth weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz.  That is the only weight I will ever remember of him.  He just stops there.  I only had about 24 hours to feel the weight of 7lbs. 6 oz. in my arms.  My arms ache for that weight again. 

There is another mommy out there that understood the importance of this long before I lost Seth.  She too had lost a baby.  And in honor of her Molly she started Molly Bears.  A wonderful organization that gives mommies something to hold.  A comfort item to fill the empty arms.  A weighted bear is named after their child and is the exact birth weight of their baby.

There is a sign up once a month. (Molly Bears sign up)  I signed up right away after losing Seth.  The current weight time seems to be between 12-18 months.  The need is big and the organization is run by volunteers and donations.  Then last month as they do from time to time there offer a chance to get to the front of the line.  By participating in a fundraiser to keep the bears in production I was able to have my Seth bear created sooner rather than later.

Our Seth Bear arrived last week.  And you guessed it.  Our Seth Bear weighs 7 lbs. 6 oz.  We absolutely love him.  We held him tight.  We took turns to pass him around.  My three year old can barely lift him. We talked about all the features of the bear.  We talked about our memories with Seth.  It was beautiful.  Each of my children have even taken a turn to sleep with him at night. 



For me holding 7 lbs. 6 oz. again is INCREDIBLE.  It takes me back to the last moment  I held Seth.  I held him. I breathed in the scent of him.  I made my arms remember the weight of him.  I cried a lot.  And then I let him go.  Today as I hold this silly teddy bear I fills in the gap in my mind between knowing he was here and imagining it all up.  I love my Seth Bear.


I now know first hand how competely and incredibly Molly Bears makes a difference in the lives of families who have lost a baby.  As I mentioned Molly Bears is ran by volunteers and donations.  If you would like to help this amazing organzation read more below. 

Molly Bears started twenty three months ago with the simple idea of bringing comfort and hope to people in the midst of tragedy. Out of this desire, Molly Bears has continued to grow, sending out over 1,500 bears thus far. What started out as one lady in her living room making bears in memory of her daughter has grown into so much more. However, even as we have grown and changed, Molly Bears has not done enough to keep up with demand.

The stark reality we face today as a company is that we do not have the funds available to keep up with the demand of bear production. We are now, like many months before, dangerously close to running out of funds. In order for Molly Bears to continue to be a vital resource for the loss community, we need YOUR help!
To donate please visit https://rally.org/mollybears.  If you would like to donate in Seth's memory please do so here https://rally.org/mollybears/38pZ79RnVKL/kimschamburg/donate


1 comment:

  1. Molly Bears is incredible! and I absolutely love my Bailey Bear.

    ReplyDelete