Monday, June 18, 2012

Letters to Heaven


Dear Seth,

If I could write a letter to heaven I would tell you that three months is a very long time to be without you.  I would tell you that I wish I could hug and kiss you all over to make up for all the time away.  Yet, I imagine you are quite settled into your the routine of your life in heaven.  It must be wonderful there.

I think I can see your face sometimes as I look at your siblings. There is always a hint of you there.  And I know this will sound really silly, but when your daddy is wearing carmex on his lips I have to stop and stare.  You clearly had your daddy's lips.   I wish I could watch you blow bubbles or raspberries with those sweet lips. 

If I could write a letter to heaven I would insist that God tell me all about what you are doing there.  It doesn't feel right to be your mommy yet not know what you are doing at all times.  I find myself struggling between what I would be doing if your were here and trying hard to imagine how wonderful life is for you in heaven. 

I have been praying, asking God to help me undestand more about heaven so I can imagine you there.  It is strange to think you know so much about it and I can't even comprehend it.   I remembered this verse in Zephaniah 3:17 this week and I thought of you. 

"The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with his love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” 

Could this be what it is like in heaven?  I am trying to imagine the Lord with you.  I try to picture what it looks like for Jesus to be taking great delight in you.  I don't think you cry in heaven, but I wonder what it sounds like for the Lord to quiet you with His love.  And oh how beautiful it must be for Him to rejoice over you with His singing.  I can't help but wonder if Jesus sings a silly song to you like Skinna Marinky Dinky Dink.  Natalie and Lydia were singing this song to Caleb and Adam just the other night.  They have heard me sing this to all of my little ones.  I wish I would have sang it you.  If I could write a letter to heaven I would ask Jesus to sing it to you just one time for me. 


If I could write a letter to heaven I would tell you how I read that our life on earth is just like a blink of an eye when compared to eternity.  I would say I wish I wouldn't have blinked while you were here.  But that I have hope that when I hold you again it will feel as if you were only apart while I blinked my eye.  I blink my eye trying to imagine. 

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.

Love,
Mommy

Skinna Marinky Dinky Dink
Skinna Marinky Do
I love you

Skinna Marinky Dinky Dink
Skinna Marinky Do
I love you

I love you in the morning
and in the afternoon
I love you in the evening
underneath the moon.....

Skinna Marinky Dinky Dink
Skinna Marinky Do
I love you

4 comments:

  1. Love that verse! Just thinking of Jesus, singing over our babies--wow. That brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your letter is so sweet. I know Seth knows how his mommy loves him! Your blog makes me teary eyed. You are so very right, it is so hard to be a mommy to a sweet angel baby, yet have no idea what they are doing at all times. It is very hard to live life without them. I just recently finished the book Heaven is for Real... if you haven't read it. I greatly suggest it... it explains Heaven from the standpoint of a 3 yr old who had an appendectomy and went to Heaven for a little bit. It brought me great peace. Hope today is a good day for you!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful letter to your little boy. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. We lost our 2nd baby at 10 weeks in utero. That was 26 years ago, but will forever hold her memory in our hearts. I am your newest follower and look forward to getting to know you better.
    Love and prayers,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete